Netflix has dominated stand-up comedy specials for the past few years, and now it’s looking to dominate the comedy festival landscape, announcing today its first weeklong event in Los Angeles, Netflix Is A Joke Fest.
The streaming giant is taking over L.A. from April 27 through May 3, 2020, with live stand-up shows, special tapings, podcasts, panels and more.
Featured Netflix talent include Ali Wong, Amy Schumer, Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, David Letterman, Jamie Foxx, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, Kevin Hart, Martin Lawrence, Sebastian Maniscalco, the cast of Schitt’s Creek, plus STAND OUT: An LGBTQ+ Celebration with headliners Alan Carr, Hannah Gadsby, Margaret Cho, Rosie O’Donnell, Sandra Bernhard, Wanda Sykes and more.
The closing night of the festival will celebrate the inaugural edition of The Hall, a first-of-its-kind hall of fame honoring the greats of stand-up comedy. Dave Chappelle, Kevin Hart, Chris Rock, Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg, Jerry Seinfeld, Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes and more will pay homage to and induct comedy legends George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Joan Rivers and Robin Williams. The Hall and induction ceremony special were created by award-winning director/producer Marty Callner and producer Randall Gladstein, and will have a physical home in a newly designed wing of the National Comedy Center in Jamestown, NY. You’ll be able to see The Hall special on Netflix in May.
Tickets for all events go on sale Friday, March 6, with select pre-sales available starting tomorrow.
Netflix is also proud to partner with Comedy Gives Back, a nonprofit organization creating a safety net for comedians in need with mental health, medical and financial crisis support. During the Festival, Comedy Gives Back will provide onsite services and information for all interested Festival goers, free of charge. Comedy Gives Back is a 501(c)3 fiscally sponsored project through Road to Artdom Foundation, Inc.
“It’s our honor to transform LA for one week into the funniest place on earth,” said Ted Sarandos, Netflix Chief Content Officer. “This festival is a unique celebration of the art of comedy, and the role it plays in reflecting our lives and defining culture. It’s a chance for comedy lovers to come together and see their favorite artists as well as discover new ones, and for us to be able to share the electricity and excitement of the festival in Los Angeles with Netflix members around the world.”
Here’s the schedule so far…
THE THEATRE AT ACE HOTEL
- The Hall: Honoring the Greats of Stand-Up (recording for release in May)
THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL
- Chappelle’s: An evening of music and comedy featuring Dave Chappelle and very special guests.
- STAND OUT: An LGBTQ+ celebration at The Greek Theatre (recorded for future release) A Historic Celebration of the best in LGBTQ+ Comedy. Legends, headliners, and top emerging talent will share the same stage at The Greek Theatre for an unforgettable and unprecedented stand-up event with special guests and musical performances. Headliners include Alan Carr, Hannah Gadsby, Margaret Cho, Rosie O’Donnell, Sandra Bernhard and Wanda Sykes. Presenters include Demi Lovato, Graham Norton, Lily Tomlin, Ruby Rose. Featuring Bianca Del Rio, Fortune Feimster, Gina Yashere, Guy Branum, James Adomian, Joel Kim Booster, Judy Gold, Lea DeLaria, Mae Martin, Marsha Warfield, Matteo Lane, Patti Harrison, Rhea Butcher, Sam Jay, Scott Thompson, Solomon Georgio, Trixie Mattel and more. STAND OUT is produced by Page Hurwitz and Wanda Sykes for Push It Productions.
- That’s My Time with David Letterman (series recording) Legendary late night host David Letterman returns to his roots to showcase some of today’s finest stand up comedians to perform and then join him for a one-of-a-kind interview.
Showcases recorded and hosted by…
- Jamie Foxx
- Amy Schumer
- Martin Lawrence
- Jane Fonda & Lily Tomlin
- Sebastian Maniscalco
- Ali Wong: The Milk and Money Tour
- 2 Bears, 1 Cave with Tom Segura & Bert Kreischer podcast
- The Degenerates Live Hosted by Jim Jefferies, featuring Big Jay Oakersen, Christina P, Ms. Pat, Robert Kelly and more.
- Ronny Chieng
- Park Na-rae
- Ken Jeong
- Chelsea Handler
- Kevin Hart in Conversation – A moderated Q&A session with comedy superstar and business mogul Kevin Hart.
- Iliza Shlesinger The Forever Tour
- Schitt’s Creek: The Farewell Tour with Dan Levy, Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Annie Murphy, Noah Reid, Emily Hampshire.
- Jack Whitehall
- Mike Birbiglia
- Congratulations with Chris D’Elia live podcast
- Michelle Wolf
- Middleditch & Schwartz improv
- Norm Macdonald
- Pete Davidson & Best Friends (recorded for special) Pete Davidson and his friends are doing stand-up comedy for you and your friends.
- Los Comediantes de Latinoamérica (recorded for special) Los Comediantes de Latinoamérica is a loaded stand up show featuring a who’s who of Latin American comedians. Special guests include Fabrizio Copano, Liss Pereira, Ricardo O’Farrill, and Ricardo Quevedo.
- The India All Star Show hosted by Vir Das (recorded for special) The India All Star Show is jam packed with the best stand up comedians from India featuring performances in both Hindi and English. Special guests include: Aditi Mittal, Amit Tandon, Kanan Gill, Kaneez Surka, Kenny Sebastian, Prashasti Singh, and Sumukhi Suresh.
- Marlon Wayans
- Russell Howard
- Deon Cole
- Christina Pazsitzky
- Vir Das
- Jacqueline Novak: Get On Your Knees
- Jenny Slate
- Katherine Ryan
- Tom Papa & Fortune Feimster
- Whitney Cummings & Friends
- Cristela Alonzo
- Taylor Tomlinson
- Catherine Cohen
- London Hughes
- Mo Gilligan
- The Endless Honeymoon with Moshe Kasher & Natasha Leggero live podcast
- The Arsenio Hall Comedy Showcase (recorded for SiriusXM) Arsenio Hall presents a lineup of the funniest comedians in LA at the legendary Comedy Union.
- Whindersson Nunes & Friends
- They Ready Live
- Janelle James & Friends
- K. Trevor Wilson
- Ms. Pat
- Best of Canada
THE ROOSEVELT HOTEL
- Tim Dillon
- Chad Goes Deep “Going Deep” live podcast
- Felipe Esparza
- Bumping Mics with Jeff Ross & Dave Attell Season 2 (recorded for special)
- Aunty Donna
One thought on “Netflix announces first comedy festival, weeklong event in Los Angeles at end of April 2020”
Comments are closed.