What’s happening in the comedy world now…
- Paramount has announced a release date for Anchorman 2, and it’s exactly a year away: Dec. 20, 2013. Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and David Koechner are all back aboard for the sequel, Adam McKay once again directing. Judd Apatow’s company is producing.
- USA has renewed Psych for an eighth season, just two months before the seventh season is set to premiere in February 2013. Stars James Roday and Dule Hill will remain along for the ride as the series hits 100 episodes.
- Nick At Nite, meanwhile, has renewed Scott Baio’s comedy, See Dad Run, for a 20-episode second season.
- Sony has sold syndication rights to Rules of Engagement to…TBS. Well, the cable rights, anyhow, seeing as it’s already airing in repeats across most of America. It returns for a seventh season in February, replacing the already-cancelled rookie sitcom Partners.
- Wendell Pierce has a new job waiting for him once Treme wraps up its four-season run on HBO. Pierce will co-star in Michael J. Fox’s new sitcom, ordered already for a full season on NBC in the fall of 2013. Pierce will play Fox’s boss in the series, which is based on Fox’s real-life challenges living with Parkinson’s Disease and still trying to be a husband, father and show-business man.