What’s happening in the comedy world now…
- Howard Stern will return in 2013 for a second season as judge on NBC’s America’s Got Talent.
- Former longtime Conan/Late Night writer Brian McCann has a new gig — McCann is the head writer for the upcoming Nikki and Sara show on MTV starring comedians Nikki Glaser and Sara Schaefer. The show also has plucked Late Night with Jimmy Fallon bloggers Cory Cavin and Emmy Blotnick for their writing staff. The MTV show debuts early in 2013.
- FOX has ordered 13 episodes of new animated sitcom Murder Police from former Family Guyshowrunner/Futurama writer David A. Goodman and Jason Ruiz.
- CHARGED.fm has lined up Al Martin’a three NYC comedy clubs — Greenwich Village, New York and Broadway Comedy Clubs — to begin selling tickets online this week via
www.newyorkcomedyclub.com/, www.greenwichvillagecomedyclub.com/ and www.broadwaycomedyclub.com/ This comes hot off the heels of a NYT article about turf wars between the Greenwich Village club and its neighbor, the longtime hub for stand-up comedy Comedy Cellar — a turf “war” brought about because the Greenwich Village relied on aspiring comics to “bark” and hawk ticket sales on the sidewalk on either side of the Cellar’s doors and awaiting audiences.
- Diane Farr has sold a semi-autobiographical single-cam comedy to NBC based on her memoir Kissing Outside the Lines, about her marriage to a Korean-American. Warren Hutcherson will serve as her fellow EP on the project.
- ABC has given truncated five-episode back orders to Tim Allen’s Last Man Standing and Reba McEntire’s Malibu Country. They air back-to-back on Friday nights and premiered a month ago (or a month-plus later than the rest of the fall TV sitcoms).
- Joy Behar will host/headline Comics With Benefits on Current TV on Dec. 14 — it’s a benefit for victims of superstorm Sandy. The lineup will include Andy Borowitz, Judy Gold, Mario Cantone and John Fugelsang. Current TV co-founder Vice President Al Gore and Liza Minnelli will also appear.
- BET will premiere Real Husbands of Hollywood and Second Generation Wayans on Jan. 15, 2013. Kevin Hart, Nick Cannon, JB Smoove, Boris Kodjoe and Robin Thicke are part of the “Real Husbands” cast, a semi-scripted series; Damien Dante Wayans, Craig Wayans, George O. Gore II and Tatyana Ali will appear in the scripted comedy following the latest generation of Wayans in comedy.
- FOX is developing single-cam Slaty Fork, from writer Dave Holstein (Weeds) and 20th TV, about father-daughter police combo in a resort town. Fish Bowl’s Vin Di Bona and others are executive producing.
- Donald Faison will host Who Gets The Last Laugh? from Punk’d co-creators Jason Goldberg and Ashton Kutcher, on TBS in spring 2013. It’s a prank challenge among comedians — Andy Dick, Tom Green, D.L. Hughley, Chris Kattan, Bam Margera, Bill Bellamy, Charlie Murphy, Cheri Oteri and Alan Thicke are among the participants.
- WNYC and Public Radio Exchange (PRX) have put Here’s the Thing with Alec Baldwin on more than 150 public radio stations across America.
- The first-ever Community convention, ComuniCon, will be held in Los Angeles on Feb. 9-10, 2013, according to the event’s Tumblr page.
- After 60 years, you’ll no longer be able to “enjoy” the Bazooka Joe comic strips with your individually wrapped pieces of Bazooka gum. The company is replacing the comics with puzzles and games.