In the past week, Wanda Sykes has appeared on Oprah, The View, Today and The Daily Show as part of her promotional push for her weekly late-night talk show, which debuts a week from Saturday on Nov. 7. A lot of the interviews ask Sykes about her recent HBO special, I'ma Be Me, or about her personal life. But we have learned a few things about The Wanda Sykes Show.
- Though John Ridley is the head writer (and Greg Fitzsimmons also is writing for Sykes), Sykes said her writing staff includes "three, four, maybe five" women.
- "We're not going to reinvent the late-night wheel," Sykes said. Although…
- There will be a bar with alcohol on the set. "This is my second job. You're damned right I'm going to have a drink!"
- Stand-up comedian Keith Robinson, who often works in NYC at the Comedy Cellar and opens for Sykes on the road, "will be like my sidekick."
- And the show will keep Sykes close to her family and away from the road. As she joked to Jon Stewart, himself a TV host, "It's where we all go to die."
Why don't we watch some highlights?
And here she was on The Daily Show:
Sykes continues her promotional push tonight on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. She has taped a couple of test shows; things kick off for real on Friday, Nov. 6 with Mary Lynn Rajskub among the known guests. Check here for tickets to upcoming tapings.