Set your countdown clocks: The 17th Annual Del Close Marathon is a little more than a month away — now serving up improvised comedy from thousands of performers across nine stages from 4 p.m. Friday, June 26, 2015, through the end of Sunday evening, June 28.
Hosted and organized by the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, it’s a worldwide testament and celebration of the late Del Close, the improv master who taught and mentored the UCB’s founders. First in Chicago, then in New York City, and now his influence has gone global. DCM17 features 575 improv shows, with performers coming from NYC, Chicago, L.A., Boston, D.C., Austin, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Alaska, North Carolina, Florida, Iowa City, Phoenix, Portland, San Francisco, London, Iceland, Poland, Canada, Australia, Amsterdam and Bogata.
The UCB Theatre released the schedule over the weekend, and as you can see, DCM17 also shows just how much the improv community has succeeded in TV and movies now. Special showcases include cast members and writers from Saturday Night Live, Key & Peele, Silicon Valley, Comedy Bang! Bang!, The Daily Show and Broad City.
The festival begins at the UCB’s home theater in Chelsea, then expands outward to include UCBEast, the SVA (School of Visual Arts), FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology), 4th Street Theatre, TFNC (Theater for the New City) and the Magnet Theater.
You can purchase tickets to the “premium” shows at SVA’s theaters or the FIT auditorium now ($10-20 each). Weekend wristband passes ($35) will be sold, cash only, at any DCM venue starting the day of DCM17, June 26.
FRIDAY, JUNE 26, 2015
- 7 p.m., Baby Wants Candy (SVA)
- 7:30 p.m., Key & Peele Writers (SVA)
- 7:30 p.m., Broad City LIVE! (FIT)
- 8:30 p.m., Doppelganger, (SVA)
- 9:15 p.m., Gay Pride Improv Spectacular (FIT)
- 9:30 p.m., The Hooray Show (SVA)
- 10:15 p.m., Convoy (SVA)
- 11 p.m., Take It Personal (FIT)
- 11:15 p.m., Cast of Silicon Valley (SVA)
- 11:45 p.m., fwand (SVA)
SATURDAY, JUNE 27
- 12:45 a.m., Bangarang! (SVA)
- 1:15 a.m., The Tony & Johnny Show (SVA)
- 7 p.m., Search History (SVA)
- 7:30 p.m., Gravid Water (FIT)
- 7:30 p.m., Shitty Jobs (SVA)
- 8 p.m., The Smokes (SVA)
- 9:15 p.m., Nick Kroll and Friends (FIT)
- 9:30 p.m., The Daily Show Writers (SVA)
- 10:15 p.m., Let’s Have a Ball (SVA)
- 11 p.m., Gelmania! Live! (FIT)
- 11:15 p.m., Comedy Bang! Bang! Writers (SVA)
- 11:45 p.m., Sentimental Lady (SVA)
SUNDAY, JUNE 28
- 12:45 a.m., Last Day of School (SVA)
- 1:15 a.m., Help Us Make a Movie in a Movie Theatre (SVA)
- 3 p.m., “Thank You Del Close” special preview screening (SVA)
- 7:30 p.m., ASSSSCAT 3000 (FIT)
DOES MY WEEKEND PASS GET ME INTO THE PREMIUM SHOWS?
There will be a stand-by line to get into premium shows for people with wristband passes. However, to guarantee entrance to premium shows, you must buy a ticket. Some of these shows will definitely sell out and the stand-by line of wristband pass holders will be let in on a first come first served basis.
IF I AM PERFORMING AND MY FRIENDS JUST WANT TO SEE MY SHOW, DO THEY STILL NEED TO BUY A WEEKEND PASS?
HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR SPECIAL DCM IMPROV WORKSHOPS?
They will be announced soon.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS TO WORK AT DCM?
Yes! We are seeking volunteers. Volunteers work one approximately eight-hour shift and in exchange get a free festival pass and access to our party space (normally only reserved for performers). If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out an application here.