The Creative Arts division of the Emmys handed out awards over two nights this weekend.
Amy Poehler and Tina Fey won the guest actress in a comedy category for hosting Saturday Night Live together, while Peter Scolari won guest actor in comedy for HBO’s Girls. For both Poehler and Scolari, this was their first Emmy win. And for Scolari, he was a late entry in the category, substituting for Peter MacNicol who was disqualified for appearing in too many episodes of Veep to be considered a guest actor.
Other first-time winners included Archer (best animated program in its seventh season on FX) and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (for choreography and picture editing in its first season on The CW).
The Late Late Show with James Corden also took home the show’s first Emmy hardware, thanks to “Carpool Karaoke.”
And the writers for HBO’s Last Week Tonight with John Oliver emerged with the variety writing award, filling in where The Daily Show and The Colbert Report had left off with their amazing run of Emmys.
Among the other comedy-related Emmy winners this weekend:
- SHORT FORM COMEDY OR DRAMA: Childrens Hospital, Adult Swim; Rob Corddry, Executive Producer Jonathan Stern, Executive Producer David Wain, Executive Producer Keith Crofford, Executive Producer Mike Lazzo, Executive Producer Krister Johnson, Co-Executive Producer
- OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN SHORT FORM Rob Corddry, as Dr. Blake Downs, Childrens Hospital
- OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN SHORT FORM: Patrika Darbo as Margot Mullen, Acting Dead
- BEST GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY: Tina Fey & Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
- BEST GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY: Peter Scolari, Girls
- SHORT FORM VARIETY SERIES: Park Bench With Steve Buscemi, AOL; Steve Buscemi, Executive Producer Stanley Tucci, Executive Producer Wren Arthur, Executive Producer Justin Wilkes, Executive Producer Joe Killian, Executive Producer Jon Doran, Executive Producer
- DIRECTING IN A VARIETY SERIES: Ryan McFaul, Inside Amy Schumer • “Madonna/Whore” • Comedy Central
- WRITING IN A VARIETY SERIES: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver • HBO; Kevin Avery, Writer, Tim Carvell, Writer, Josh Gondelman, Writer Dan Gurewitch, Writer Geoff Haggerty, Writer Jeff Maurer, Writer John Oliver, Writer Scott Sherman, Writer Will Tracy, Writer, Jill Twiss, Writer Juli Weiner, Writer
- BEST VARIETY SPECIAL: The Late Late Show Carpool Karaoke Prime Time Special, CBS
- CHARACTER VOICEOVER PERFORMANCE: Seth MacFarlane as Peter Griffin, Stewie Griffin, Brian Griffin, Glenn Quagmire, Dr. Hartman, Tom Tucker, Mr. Spacely, Family Guy • “Pilling Them Softly” • FOX
- SHORT FORM ANIMATED PROGRAM: Robot Chicken • “Robot Chicken Christmas Special: The X-Mas United” • Adult Swim • Stoopid Buddy Stoodios; Seth Green, Executive Producer/Written by Matthew Senreich, Executive Producer/Written by John Harvatine IV, Executive Producer; Eric Towner, Executive Producer; Tom Root, Executive Producer/Head Writer; Doug Goldstein, Executive Producer/Head Writer Keith Crofford, Executive Producer; Mike Lazzo, Executive Producer; Janet Dimon, Supervising Producer; Ollie Green, Producer; Mike Fasolo, Written by; Shelby Fero, Written by; Joel Hurwitz, Written by; Tom Sheppard, Written by/Directed by; Alex Kamer, Animation Director
- ANIMATED PROGRAM: Archer • “The Figgis Agency” • FX Networks • Adam Reed, Executive Producer/Writer Matt Thompson, Executive Producer Casey Willis, Co-Executive Producer Jeff Fastner, Producer; Neal Holman, Producer; Chad Hurd, Producer; Eric Sims, Producer; Bryan Fordney, Producer/Animation Director
- INTERACTIVE PROGRAM: The Late Late Show With James Corden • CBS • James Corden, Host; Ben Winston, Executive Producer Rob Crabbe, Executive Producer Adam Abramson, Director of Digital
- OUTSTANDING CREATIVE ACHIEVEMENT IN INTERACTIVE MEDIA SOCIAL TV EXPERIENCE: @midnight, Comedy Central
- PICTURE EDITING FOR VARIETY: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver • “Public Defenders (segment)” • HBO, Anthony Miale, Editor
- HAIRSTYLING FOR A MULTI-CAM: Saturday Night Live • “Host: Fred Armisen” • NBC • Bettie O. Rogers, Department Head Hairstylist Jodi Mancuso, Key Hairstylist; Inga Thrasher, Hairstylist; Jennifer Serio, Hairstylist; Cara Hannah Sullivan, Hairstylist Joe Whitmeyer, Hairstylist
- MAKEUP FOR A MULTI-CAM SERIES OR SPECIAL: Key & Peele • “Y’all Ready For This?” • Comedy Central • Scott Wheeler, Department Head Makeup Artist Suzy Diaz, Key Makeup Artist, Jason Hamer, Key Makeup Artist, Natalie Thimm, Key Makeup Artist, Michael Blake, Key Makeup Artist
- CASTING FOR A COMEDY: Veep • HBO • Allison Jones, Casting Director Ben Harris, Casting Director
- PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A HALF-HOUR OR LESS NARRATIVE: Transparent • “Kina Hora” • “The Book Of Life” • “Man On The Land” • Amazon • Cat Smith, Production Designer, Macie Vener, Art Director, Susan Mina Eschelbach, Set Decorator
- PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A VARIETY, NONFICTION OR REALITY: Portlandia • “Family Emergency” • “Pickathon” • “Weirdo Beach” •IFC • Schuyler Telleen, Production Designer Katherine Isom, Set Decorator
- CHOREOGRAPHY: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend • Routines: I’m So Good at Yoga/A Boy Band Made Up of Four Joshes/Settle For Me • CW • Kathryn Burns, Choreographer
- CINEMATOGRAPHY FOR A MULTI-CAM: Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn • “Go Hollywood” • Nickelodeon • John Simmons, ASC, Director of Photography
- SINGLE-CAM PICTURE EDITING FOR A COMEDY: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend • “Josh Just Happens To Live Here! (Pilot)” • CW • Kabir Akhtar, ACE, Editor
- MULTI-CAM PICTURE EDITING FOR A COMEDY: The Big Bang Theory • “The Opening Night Excitation” • CBS • Peter Chakos, Editor