Episode #64: Trump vs. Bernie (Anthony Atamanuik and James Adomian)
When comedians Anthony Atamanuik and James Adomian first met up to redefine the term mock debate during an October 2015 late-night comedy showcase at the UCB Theatre, few people really believed that Donald J. Trump and Bernie Sanders were more than passing fads. But as primary voters have made their voices heard in this 2016 presidential campaign, Trump vs. Bernie seems more plausibly ridiculous than ever before.
Before it becomes too real, Atamanuik and Adomian and their pitch-perfect impersonations of Trump and Bernie are taking their messages – which are more enjoyable and more substantive than the actual debates at times – to voting-age audiences across America. I caught up with the comedians as well as Baratunde Thurston, the supervising producer for The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, who moderated their mock debate at New York City’s Highline Ballroom.
They also let me in on the surreal feeling they had earlier that day when they realized what it meant that they were performing live as Trump vs. Bernie on CNN.
Their Trump vs. Bernie tour continues with dates:
- FEBRUARY 19TH WASHINGTON, DC 7:30 PM
- FEBRUARY 20TH WASHINGTON, DC 4:00 PM
- FEBRUARY 21ST RICHMOND, VA 8:00 PM
- FEBRUARY 27TH ATLANTA 8:00 PM
- FEBRUARY 29TH AUSTIN, TX 7:30 PM
- MARCH 2ND PHOENIX 8:00 PM
- MARCH 3RD TUCSON, AZ 8:00 PM
- MARCH 8TH SEATTLE, WA 8:00 PM
- MARCH 9TH PORTLAND, OR 8:00 PM
- MARCH 10TH SAN FRANCISCO, CA 8:00 PM
So let’s get to it!