FX Networks expands relationships with two new sitcom orders: “Better Things” and “Cassius and Clay”
FX Networks is making its big splash today before the TV Critics Association by announcing two new series that expands FX and FXX's relationships with the creators of long-running critical faves Louie and Archer.
Better Things, starring Pamela Adlon, will receive 10 episodes on FX, while Cassius and Clay, an animated series starring the voices of Kaitlin Olson and Lake Bell, will receive 10 episodes on FXX, where it'll be paired with Archer.
Adlon, meanwhile, already has co-starred and consulted for several seasons on Louie. She and Louis CK have co-created Better Things and co-wrote the pilot, which CK directed -- it stars Adlon as "Sam," a semi-autobiographical version of herself as "a working actor with no filter" and three daughters. Mikey Madison, Riley Watson, and Olivia Edward will portray her daughters.
“Pamela is one of the sharpest and most endearing actresses working in television today and we are thrilled she has joined forces with Louis to create a series that is raw, personal and incredibly funny,” said FX Networks programming exec Eric Schrier.
“I’m incredibly grateful to John Landgraf and all the folks at FX and excited to work with them to explore the real and funny truths of being a single working mom,” Adlon said.
Better Things joins Baskets -- another series from CK's Pig Newton Productions, that'll star Zach Galifianakis -- on the FX docket for 2016.
Over on FXX, Cassius and Clay, an animated action-buddy comedy about bandits in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic American South, comes from Archer creator Adam Reed and Modern Family writer Megan Ganz. FX Networks is moving Archer over to the sister station for its seventh season to help launch its animated partner.
“Tearing through the Smoky Mountains, Cassius and Clay don’t just survive the end of the world – they thrive on it with a pack of misfits who persevere against all odds in this Southern-fried apocalypse,” said FX Networks programming exec Nick Grad. “Our thanks to Adam and Megan for creating this hilarious and twisted tale and to Kaitlin, Lake, Susan and the rest of the voice cast for bringing these characters to life in all their damaged glory."
The full voice cast for Cassius and Clay includes:
- Kaitlin Olson will play CASSIUS CORDWOOD, a hard-drinking, quick-thinking, fast-talking bull-shitter who has more debts than sense.
- Lake Bell will play SHOPCARTER CLAY, the fastest gun in the post-apocalyptic South -- she doesn't go looking for trouble, she shares a station wagon with it.
- Susan Sarandon will play CONNIE MACK, the ruthless and cutthroat owner of Wilke's only saloon and brothel. Mack runs the booze, the girls, the whole goddamn town, really.
- JB Smoove will play DOC BENZ, the town's only doctor, locked in a dysfunctional, co-dependent relationship with Smiffy (who carts the Doc's ornery, legless ass around).
- Kevin Michael Richardson will play SMIFFY, the enormous blacksmith, a gentle giant who can fix anything so long as Doc says it's okay.
- Jeffrey Tambor will play MAYOR WAITSTILL WEEKS, the utterly powerless and disregarded mayor of Wilke, who's barely in charge of his own newspaper, which only he reads.
- Katy Mixon will play JACK RUBY, head-whore of The Snug, Connie Mack’s number two and the myor's number one.
- Robert Patrick will play REEVER GRINT, the terrifying tax-collector from Richway, the crookedest of all the crooked sheriffs.
- Stephen Root will play ODUM, the ever-scheming deputy who’s always under Grint’s boot heel,which is really the best place for such a greasy lickspittle.