Bob Newhart starred in two classic hit sitcoms — The Bob Newhart Show, 1972-1978, and Newhart, 1982-1990 — but it wasn’t until last night that he could take home his first Emmy, as Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series, for The Big Bang Theory. Newhart just turned 84 this month.
It comes 52 years after Newhart stormed onto the show business scene and won the 1961 Grammy Award for Album of the Year, and earned his first Emmy nomination that year, too.
Newhart received his first Emmy at the Creative Arts ceremony, which takes place a week earlier (and parts of which will be telecast Sept. 21 on FXX). The Emmy Awards will be broadcast Sunday, Sept. 22, on CBS.
Other early Emmy winners out of the Creative Arts ceremony from comedy shows, specials and series included:
- Bob Newhart, Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
- Melissa Leo, Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series, Louie (FX)
- Louis C.K., Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special, “Oh My God” (HBO)
- South Park, Outstanding Animated Program (Comedy Central)
- Rob Corddry, Jonathan Stern, David Wain, Nick Weidenfeld, Keith Crofford and Rich Rosenthal, Outstanding Special Class — Short-Form Live-Action Entertainment, Childrens’ Hospital (Adult Swim)
- Eugene Lee, Akira Yoshimura and Keith Ian Raywood, Outstanding Art Direction for Variety or Nonfiction Programming, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
- Jennifer McNamara-Shroff, Katja Blichfeld and Jessica Daniels, Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series, 30 Rock (NBC)
- Christian La Fountaine, Outstanding Cinematography for a Multi-Camera Series, How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
- Sue Federman, Outstanding Multi-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series, How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
- David Rogers and Claire Scanlon, Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series, The Office (NBC)
- Amanda Needham and Monika Schmidt, Outstanding Costumes for a Variety Program or a Special, Portlandia (IFC)
- Bettie O. Rogers, Jodi Mancuso, Inga Thrasher, Jennifer Serio Stauffer and Cara Hannah Sullivan, Outstanding Hairstyling for a Multi-Camera Series or Special, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
- Louie Zakarian, Josh Turi, Amy Tagliamonti, Daniela Zivkovic and Melanie Demitri, Outstanding Makeup for a Multi-Camera Series or Special (Non-Prosthetic), SNL (NBC)
- Robert Smigel, Steve Grimes, Shaw Bowman, Akash Goyal and Mike Henneberger, Outstanding Interactive Program, Night of Too Many Stars (ComedyCentral.com)
- Einar Westerlund, Outstanding Picture Editing for Short-Form Segments and Variety Specials, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)
- James L. Hitchcock, John Pierre Dechene, Brian (Army) Armstrong, Devin Atwood, Mark Davison and John D. O’Brien, Outstanding Technical Direction Camerawork, Video Control for a Series, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)