After a hiatus of nine years, Spike TV has brought back reality series spoof/prank The Joe Schmo Show for a third season. When it premieres tonight, it’ll have the same gimmick as before: One of the characters competing for the big cash prize doesn’t know that everyone else on the show is an actor.
Well, this year’s “schmo” should know one of the actors already, since it’s Lorenzo Lamas.
Years from now, perhaps you’ll know one or more of the other actors, too.
After all, Kristen Wiig was hamming it up on The Joe Schmo Show before she ever hit SNL, playing “The Quack Marriage Counselor” “Dr. Pat” on season one in 2003.
Natasha Leggero appeared in the second season in 2004 as Rita “The Drunk.”
The 2013 cast includes:
- Rob Belushi as “Allen” (yes, of that Belushi family, and from Second City, too).
- Lombardo Boyar as “Chico” has appeared previously in The Bernie Mac Show, provided voices for the Happy Feet movies, and even was in EdTV.
- Chelsey Crisp as “Chloe” performs at Hollywood’s ACME Comedy. Chelsey Crisp also is a member of Duchess Riot and has appeared in episodes of The Office and Happy Endings.
- Fred Cross as “Stan” has appeared in episodes of Weeds and Scrubs (also as a sign language interpreter) and in bits for Conan.
- Meghan Falcone as “Skylar” is a performer in the L.A. branch of the UCB Theatre who also appears in this year’s season of Showtime’s Californication.
- Amanda Landry as “Wanda Montrose” was on an episode of last year’s sitcom Men At Work.
- Nikki McKenzie as “Allison” is a UCB student who has appeared in episodes of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Greek.
- Jo Newman as “Karlee” also is a UCB performer who’ll be seen later this year in the HBO series, Hello Ladies.
- Segun Oduolowu as “Lavernius” has appeared in bits for Jimmy Kimmel Live and Mind of Mencia.
- Michael Weaver as “Randy” has appeared in episodes of Up All Night, Happy Endings and had parts in multiple Broken Lizard movies.
Here are the first 10 minutes of season three of The Joe Schmo Show, which premieres tonight on Spike TV.