What’s happening in the comedy world now…
- Brandon T. Jackson officially has landed the lead role in the CBS TV reboot of Beverly Hills Cop — Jackson will play the son of Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy). The TV series will catch back up with Foley and his son, a generation after the events of the movie comedy trilogy.
- TV Land has renewed Soul Man, starring Cedric The Entertainer and Niecy Nash, for a second season. That follows separate news from the cable channel that it has expanded the second season of The Exes, adding another 10 episodes for a total of 22 — it stars Donald Faison, Wayne Knight, David Alan Basche, Kelly Stables and Kristen Johnston
- Boston is about to finally have another legitimate comedy club. If that statement baffles you, then you must read Nick Zaino’s piece in the Globe about the new Laugh Boston operation (from the founders of Improv Asylum and the booker of Nick’s), which also updates you on Boston’s comedy club scene.
- TBS has made a pilot of an American version of BBC “panel show” Have I Got News For You, with Sam Seder hosting and featuring Sherrod Small and Michael Ian Black.
- Comedy Central has scheduled dates and times for the premieres of new stand-up specials from Gary Gulman and Eugene Mirman…”Gary Gulman: In This Economy” debuts at 10 p.m. Dec. 8, while “Eugene Mirman: An Evening of Comedy in a Fake Underground Laboratory” bows at midnight Dec. 21.